You’ve started your lawn and it looks great. But with lawn and garden care,you can keep it looking great all season long! Here are some tips for maintaining your yard:
- Water in the early morning! This helps to prevent fungal disease.
- Water more deeply and less frequently! It encourages deeper root growth.
- Water using 1/2 to 1 inch of water! This wets the soil to a depth of 4-6 inches. To check on how much water you’re using, collect water from sprinklers in a small can or rain gauge.
- Prevent water run-off! Irrigate slowly or in multiple short cycles because water is more likely to run off clay soil and sloping lots.
- Allow soil to dry out between waterings!
- Watering is hardly necessary during the dormant season (December–February)
- Mow grass frequently! Enough so that no more than 1/3 of the leaf blade is removed at one time.
- Mow when the grass is dry! This prevents the spread of turf disease.
- Cut the grass higher in the summer! This helps to establish a deeper root system.
- Sharpen mower blades regularly! Sharp blades do less damage to grass.
- Do not bag your grass clipping! Use a mulching mower if possible because cut grass that’s left on the lawn returns 60% of the nitrogen and 100% of the phosphorus to the soil,which is very beneficial.
Aerate Your Lawn
- Aerating your lawn at least once a year will help to improve drainage and bring more oxygen to the soil.
- Moisten your soil the day before aerating to make it easier and more effective.
- Use a hollow-tined aerator that removes the plugs to increase water and oxygen to the soil.
- After aerating, apply compost for added nutrients.
- Low levels of weeds are okay! When you develop a dense, healthy turf most weeds will go away.
- Avoid using herbicides! The most effective, least toxic way to remove weeds is pulling them by hand or by using a non-toxic PH balanced granular formula.
- Don’t let weeds bloom and release their seeds! One plant can send hundred of seeds into your yard.
- Fill in bare spots in your lawn with grass plugs or seed.
Organic Lawn and Garden Care Products
Keep pests away by using Wondercide’s EcoTreat Outdoor Pest Control in a lawn sprayer. It's a natural solution for organic lawn care and pest control that will surely help you keep your organic lawn beautiful! Not only does it help prevent and remove pests, but it does not harm beneficial insects like butterflies! EcoTreat Outdoor Pest Control has been provento be both safe and effective.To see how to use EcoTreat Outdoor Pest Control in a lawn sprayer, watch our how-to video:
We wish you the best of luck on yourlawn and garden careprojects and hope that these tips help you with maintaining your yard!