April is an important month for pet health. It’s Prevention of Lyme Disease in Dogs Month and Heartworm Awareness Month. As spring comes into full swing and you start enjoyingmore time outdoors with your pets, protect your fur family with natural products and smart tips.
Prevention of Lyme Disease in Dogs Month
Lyme disease is caused by a spiral-shaped bacteria called Borrelia burgdorferi that some black-legged tick species carry. If an infected tick is allowed to stay on your pup more than a day or two, the bacteria can be transferred and serious symptoms can develop.
According to PetMD:
"Common signs of Lyme disease includelameness, fever, swollenlymph nodesand joints, and a reduced appetite. In severe cases, animals may develop kidney disease, heart conditions, or nervous system disorders. Animals do not develop the tell-tale 'Lyme disease rash' that is commonly seen in humans with Lyme disease.”
What’s the good news? Here are helpful tips you can use to help eliminate ticks and prevent them from hitching a ride on your pets:
- Spray your pup 2-3 times a week and before outings with Wondercide Flea & Tick for Pets + Home.
- Keep an on-the-go 4oz spray in your car as well as your backpack or tote so you always have protection on hand.
- Avoid hiking in areas where ticks love to be. Ticks thrive in tall brush areas, so stay in the middle of a path or trail when possible.
- Inspect your pup after a hike and before your get back into your car or home. Keep a flat top comb or flea comb with you and run it through your pet’s hair to draw out ticks.
- When you get home, take a closer look and if you see a tick. If you do, follow Dogs Naturally Magazine’s "Tips and Tricks for Removing Ticks."
- If your dog was bitten by a tick, after you’ve removed the tick, soothe the skin with Wondercide’s Skin Tonic Spray.
- Find a qualified vet who can further advise you about prevention and guide you through treatment should your pet need it. You can search vets at ahvma.org,theavh.org or pivh.org.
Heartworm Awareness MonthHeartworm is another serious condition that can affect your pet. It's a parasitic roundworm that is spread through the bites of mosquitos. These worms live in the heart, lungs and related blood vessels of affected pets. Dogs and cats can get heartworm disease and can suffer from lung disease, heart failure and damage to other organs as a result. Following the advice of your holistic vet is essential. One proactive measure to help your pet is to keep biting bugs, in this case mosquitos, away. Wondercide's Flea & Tick sprays for Pets + Home and Yard + Garden kill and repel not only fleas and ticks, but also mosquitoes. Now's a great time to stock up for spring and summer! PLEASE NOTE: Our products don't get absorbed into your pet's bloodstream, so they won't kill heartworms or their larvae that have already entered your pet's body. That's why it's important to help your furry loved one get the best advice on heartworm prevention and treatment. Find a qualified vet at ahvma.org,theavh.org or pivh.org who can guide you.
Help us Spread the Word
Help us spread the word about the importance of using safe* flea, tick, and mosquito prevention.
Enjoy the great outdoors with your pack and have fun outside in this beautiful world of ours.
*When used as directed.