All I want for Christmas is …. a new puppy!
You’ve seen it before. It’s on almost every child’s wish list. Giving and/or receiving a puppy or kitten (or any other kind of pet) for Christmas is not a foreign concept. But is it a good idea?
According to the ASPCA, the majority of surrender calls to shelters every day, and especially following the holiday season, are from parents whose children are no longer interested in taking care of their family pet; or they realize that the child was never interested in taking care of the pet at all. There are even pet shops, such as Adelaide in Australia, that is refusing to sell kittens and puppies around the holidays in order to avoid the subsequent surrenders that happen after the initial magic of a new pet under the Christmas tree wears off.
If you are one of those people who is thinking about purchasing a pet for Christmas for your children, parents, grandparents, girlfriend, or whoever; be sure to consider these things first:
- Choosing and taking care of a pet is a big decision and comes with even more responsibility. Dogs need to be walked, fed, trained, licensed, and properly exercised. Cats have litter boxes - enough said.
- Animals require a huge time commitment. They are a member of the family and this time should not be viewed as a chore.
- Taking children out of the picture, does this person even really want a pet? It may seem like grandma is lonely and would benefit from a kitten, but did you think that perhaps she doesn’t even want to take care of an animal? A pet could even prove to be a hazard to her. We don’t want grandma tripping over the kitten and breaking her hip! I’ve seen this happen.
- Pets of any kind cost money, especially when they are new (think - hundreds of dollars). Are you or the new owner financially prepared to take this on?
- Do you or any family members, friends, or related people have allergies relating to animals?
- And so much more!
So, before you buy a pet for Christmas this year, sit down and really (really) think about it.
Is there anything that we missed? What are your thoughts on purchasing pets for Christmas presents? Let us know in the comments!
Did you know? 10% of all purchases made from our gifts for pet lovers during the month of December will be donated to the Austin Pets Alive organization. Help us support this amazing organization - shop today!