Is it Safe to Use Pets + Home on Cats?
The short answer is YES. Wondercide products don't contain any conventional pesticides or oils that are toxic to cats.
Phenols, or phenolic compounds, occur naturally in many essential oils. Even though essential oils are beneficial for humans, dogs, and horses, they can be overpowering to cats.
Cats have a different physiology than many other animals—they don’t have the liver enzyme needed to break down the phenolic compounds in certain essential oils.
Oils like clove, eugenol, cinnamon, and thymol have a lot of phenolic compounds, and high doses of these oils are known to be toxic to cats. Cedarwood is an essential oil that is rumored to be toxic to cats, which is not entirely true. There are many species of cedar trees, just like there are many types of oak and apple trees. Not all cedar species are created equal. Some types of cedar are safe, and others can be toxic to animals and people.
Wondercide only sources cedarwood oil from safe cedar species. Wondercide products made with cedarwood oil are intentionally phenol-free. Independent lab tests verify our products don't contain any phenolic compounds.
Pets + Home is safe for cats, and many people with kittens, nursing mothers, and adult or aging cats successfully use it on their cats and in their homes. However, we recommend testing the spray in a small area on your cat and monitoring for signs of sensitivity after using Pets + Home for the first time.
How do I use Pets + Home on cats?
We always recommend TESTING.
Sensitivities don’t occur often, but we love your furry companions, too, and want to err on the side of caution. Test a small area on your cat in order to find out if your cat is sensitive to the product. We even offer a tester size if you want to test your cat for sensitivities before buying a larger bottle. Keep in mind that small tester sizes are not meant to treat an entire animal or room.
To test, we recommend applying a quarter-sized amount (1 pump of the spray bottle) to the back of their neck. Wait 1-2hours to see if any signs of sensitivity develop.