accessibility mode: off

Conventional pesticides: How can they can affect your pets?

file.jpeg

It's easy to overlook your four-legged companions when you think about the toxins that your family could be ingesting through the products you use around the home and lawn.

Dogs and cats use their noses to poke around and explore outside and because their noses are a moist, mucous membrane, it's an easy place for conventional pesticides to be absorbed, inhaled, and ingested. Another cause for concern would be if your dog consumes contaminated plant material in and around your home. Cats are known to be specialist carnivores and they lack certain enzymes in their liver that detoxifies certain chemicals like phenols, making them especially vulnerable to the effects of conventional pesticides.

Have you also considered the dangers of secondary poisoning in your pets? Dogs and cats can eat rodents, insects, and other animals that could possibly be ridden with conventional pesticides. Symptoms of secondary poisoning might not occur for weeks, so it is vital that you watch your pets closely and keep an eye on what they are eating.

If you spray conventional pesticides on your grass or inside your house, your dog or cat will most likely absorb them through one method or another. Examples could be laying in the area, licking their fur after exposure, or even the indoor air quality of your home where conventional pesticides have been sprayed and persist in the environment. Ultimately all of this affects your health too.

Contamination in small dosages can take years to build up in our pets (as well as our own) body but its never too late to start using safe* pest control products. Implementing an integrated pest-management program will help ensure that your pets will not have pesticides in or on their bodies affecting their kidneys, liver, lymph nodes, and other areas of their central nervous system. 

Although conventional pesticides will have different effects on your pets, if you suspect your pets may have conventional pesticide poisoning and display any of the symptoms of listed below, contact your local veterinarian immediately.

  • Fever
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Seizures
  • Hyper-salvation
  • Constricted pupils
  • Increased heart rate
  • Lack of concentration
  • Respiratory failure
  • Acting strange or agitated after you apply monthly flea and tick treatment

What to do instead to help your pets stay protected with safe* solutions? Use Wondercide's signature Flea & Tick line of solutions for pets, home, and yard. 360-degree plant-powered protection that will help you protect the ones you love without poison.

*When used as directed.

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

Product Help Quiz

Answer a few questions to get a solution fast

What pest can we protect you from?

Fleas & ticks

Ants & roaches

Mosquitoes

Spiders

Other

Do you have an active issue or looking for prevention & maintenance?

Active issue

Prevention & maintenance

Where is the issue?

Check all that apply.

What kind of pet?

Dog(s)

Cat(s)

How many dogs do you have?

1 One

What size is your dog?
How many cats do you have?
How large is your yard (sq. ft.)?

Not sure? We can look it up for you! Enter your complete address below and click submit
Loading...
Your Cart Your Cart